Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Gorillaz: Journey to the West

I've been neglecting my blog duties for a long time now. But this was just too W-T-F to ignore. I can't believe I only heard of this today.

Gorillaz' Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett have come up with another unlikely musical conquest. This time, they've decided to take a stab at Chinese opera, using the epic Monkey King/Journey to the West folktale as their base.

Monkey: Journey to the West will begin it's run in London, England come November.

Here's a documentary following Albarn and Hewlett's Journey to the West (har har har I make a pun).

Damon and Jamie's Excellent Adventure


And here's a Video that Hewlett directed from their opera's album.

Monkey Bee: A Short Film


Goodness. Makes me go W-T-F a little. Not that that's ever a bad thing.

Two questions:
1) Is there anything these guys can't do?
2) They really like monkeys, don't they?

Monkey - Monkey Bee (mp3)(buy)
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc. (mp3) (buy)

1 comment:

RazzleDazzled Paula said...

I'm really interested in seeing how this translates onto stage. Hands up if you want to go to London!