Sunday, October 25, 2009

It's Not You, It's Me


I feel like I just got dumped.

The Rakes broke up on Oct. 22, 2009. According to an official release on their site:

"To our fans, sorry if this abrupt end is an unpleasant surprise and might piss any of you off, particularly those who were coming to see us on our UK and US tours. Under the circumstances we just couldn’t continue… We of course don’t want to piss anyone off, we never took canceling shows lightly - but it’s best to leave you all on a high note, rather than unimaginatively continue, on and on, until before you know it you’re playing an OAP home in Eastbourne and discover all the audience are younger than you.

Sincere thanks for all your support. Here’s our collective thoughts:

The Rakes have always been very adamant and proud of the fact that we give 100% to every gig we’ve ever played. If we can’t give it everything then we won’t do it. That was the rule we set ourselves from day one.

After much deliberation we have come to the shared conclusion that we can’t give it 100% anymore and regret to announce that The Rakes are calling it a day. We are sorry to let down all the people who were coming to see us on the UK & US tours. Writing your own obituary is a surreal thing to do but we want to give particular thanks to our much-loved fans, all the great people we’ve worked with over the years, our management and loyal record label. We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to write music together and perform around the world. Genuinely, thanks for the good times…. That was one hell of a party! But now, we really must get some sleep."

I'm so distraught, I'm not even concentrating on homework. I don't think I can go to work tomorrow. Can't I see them one last time? At the ModClub in Toronto? Where they were supposed to play on Nov. 9?

Well, that's JUST great. You know what Rakes, I don't need you. I've moved on! I saw tons of other bands.... (sniff).

And by the way, in the words of the Flight of the Conchords, "I'm not crying, it's just raining on my face."

Rakes - 1989 (mp3) (buy)

Rakes - Shackleton (mp3) (buy)

Rakes - Little Superstitions (mp3) (buy)

1 comment:

Ed said...

Shame - saw them a couple of times here in Scotland. great songs particularly 'Strasbourg'