Monday, February 8, 2010

There is a Light that Never Goes Out


An album inspired by the metallic pings you hear in an MRI machine (or "IRM" en francais), doesn't seem like it would translate well into into 43 minutes of listenable audio. But Charlotte Gainsbourg manages to pull it off. IRM is a spacey and subdued album much like producer Beck's Mutations, but haunting and effortlessly cool. Either though a potentially life threatening accident and recovery was a driving creative factor behind this work, it shows there's always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Even Charlotte states in Flaunt Magazine about the incident, "I can't say it changed my life, but it's true that when you wake up-I don't mean physically when you wake up-but when it's over and you realize that you are still there, there's something very exhilarating. But it passes very, very quickly and you go back to normal."

And she adds "I don't think that way [about survival]. I just hope I'll continue, I hope I'll get to meet people. I just hope I get to do exciting things. And I hope that I am at the beginning."

Charlotte Gainsbourg - Trick Pony (mp3 link deleted as per request) (buy)

No comments: