Sunday, March 28, 2010

Holy Moly, Me Oh My!

I was browsing around NPR's All Song Considered: Tiny Desk Concerts and found this band.

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.

The band is fronted by Alex Ebert, who according to Wikipedia, broke up with his girlfriend, moved out of his house and joined a 12-step program for addiction. Normally, this would be enough to keep a person depressed for a good long time, but Ebert then went on and created a story "about a messianic figure named Edward Sharpe... (who) was sent down to Earth to kinda heal and save mankind... but he kept getting distracted by girls and falling in love." Ebert subsequently met Jade Castrinos, the other vocalist in the troupe, and began touring with, like, 10 other musicians.

Normally, I would have a snarky remark and head for the exit when I see a band like this. But I found myself won over by their infectious energy. It is so... endearing! The official video for the single "Home" can be found here. It looks and sounds like a 60s western movie, which I know is not a ringing endorsement. Fear not, this is why I embedded the Letterman clip. Live, this band just shines.



My favourite thing about this video is the dynamic between Ebert and Castrinos. Maybe they are in love now or were in love in the past, or maybe not, but with the energy between them and lyrics like these:
"Alabama Arkansas I do Love my Ma and Pa
But not as much as I do Love you
Holy Moly Me oh My your the apple of my eye
Girl aint never loved one like you."
How can one not be charmed and won over?

In addition, this band is ambitious to boot! They're releasing a 12 part feature length musical, one music video at a time! The second part can be seen here. Visit their website, but be warned, it's liable to give you seizures with that flickering background.

I really encourage you to visit Tiny Desk Concert, they have a really great video of the band live.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not really into folksy hippie bands but this band is fantastic. We saw them play at Bumbershoot(a Seattle music festival) and they have this incredible energy that just makes you love them.