Sunday, March 30, 2008

Darkness and Light

Last night, I went to the Earth Hour Festivities at Nathan Phillips Square and from my view, this is actually what it looked like. Since I'm only 5'-2", its hard to see live music at large festivals. I have to watch everything on the big screens, which I still couldn't see last night.

Earth Hour didn't seem so energy efficient to me probably because I was in the midst of a concert and shops were still open. Some people held candles, but maybe it made a bigger impact elsewhere. The biggest surprise of the night was that the Philosopher Kings are still together. I had thought that they broke up when Jarvis Church (aka Gerald Eaton) pursued a solo career. The Philosopher Kings are awesome. Rememeber that song "I am the man", where Jarvis Church wore a dress? Awesome. Anyways, the lineup from the time I got there consisted of Jarvis Church (solo), Fefe Dobson, Nelly Furtado and the Philosopher Kings.

Philosopher Kings - Cry (mp3)

Afterwards, we headed over to the Horseshoe Tavern to see Luke Doucet and the White Falcon. The Beauties and the Perpetrators opened and I'm not a big fan of Blue-grass-ish music but it was alot of fun. We were near the front and the people in front of us were about my height so we had a great view. The Perpetrators' singer had so much energy it was infectious, and the drummer (when he played guitar), must have lightning fast reflexes to play the guitar the way he did.

And then Luke Doucet and the White Falcon came out to play. The sound was clear, they band looked like they love their jobs, everyone was smiling and they played my favourites, including "Emily, Please". It was a fantastic show and highly recommended.

You'll also notice how the picture quality on this post gets progressively gets better through the night. I decided that I'm going to take a camera with me to shows from now on and it's a learning curve. At least a couple of photos turned out. The pictures from the Raveonettes show at the Opera House last week didn't turn out, and it's too bad cause the band is stunning in real life.

Perpetrators - Hollywood (mp3 clip)
Luke Doucet - Lovecats (Cure Cover) (mp3)

No comments: