Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sweet Hallelujah


Okay, I'll admit it. I'm not very good at checking my emails. Sometimes there will be a delay. But when I got an email telling me that Hawksley Workman is releasing For Him and the Girls on Nov. 17, 2009, I had to do a double take! Wasn't this already released? I was just listening to it a few days back and the CD was sitting on my desk. I couldn't have missed a recent email from 2000, right?

It turns out that his debut For Him and the Girls, which had been released in Canada years back is finally set to be released in the States.

If you haven't heard his material yet, you don't know what you're missing! Truly an original performer and songwriter, I don't even know how to describe his music; it's so unique. I've always loved his work yet I've always been at a loss whenever I've had to describe his music. He's been compared by critics to Tom Waits, David Bowie, Rufus Wainwright and Freddie Mercury.

All at once, he can be glam/humble/playful/folky/indie/classic/modern/nostalgic, switching between the role of the troubadour and the rock and roll performer. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it all works brilliantly, combined with his expressive vocals and dynamic onstage persona.

Check out some songs from the debut below. And remember that this is only the debut, he's had a few Canadian albums out since then. You ain't heard nothing yet!

Hawksley Workman - Maniacs
(mp3) (buy)

Hawksley Workman - Bullets
(mp3) (buy)

No comments: