Sunday, December 2, 2007

Music World Closing Sale

I went to Yorkdale mall on the weekend. This is one of the few malls in Canada where Music World still exists. On top of that, it happens to be more conveniently located than the HMV. So I approach the store, only to realize that they're having a store closing sale.

No! You can't do that! You're pretty much the only other CD/DVD store in Canada! You've survived alongside HMV and the internet for so long! I respected you because of that! You're the alternative! You're Canadian! Fight the power!

But I suppose we all saw it coming. I did some research and it turns out that Music World declared bankruptcy last month after losing over $9 million in the last year and being sold to new owners. I was just a little late to catch on. There's a chance that a few major locations may remain open, but the game is pretty much over when January hits us. Is anyone else reminded of the closure of Sam the Record Man in Toronto during the summer?

I went inside to join the other scavenging shoppers. According to the sign, you save 20% on the last ticketed price on all CDs and DVDs. I picked up a CD that I've been meaning to pick up for a long time- Luke Doucet's "Broken (and other rogue states)". He's a little bit country, a little bit blue, a little bit easy listening and quite a bit talented. He's a Canadian artist, so that already contributes to how under-rated he is, although I've seen two of his videos being played on Much More Music. Nonetheless, the only people I know that has heard his name is Edie, and two of my close friends that learned of him through me.

Luke Doucet - Emily, Please (MP3)
Luke Doucet - It's Not the Liquor I Miss (MP3)


I approached the cash register and was greeted by employee number 002--- (it says on my receipt, but I imagine it'd not be wise to toss his identity out like that.) He was appropriately dressed for his job in a music store, with a hoodie a depressing shade of blue, an eyebrow piercing, few-day-old stubble and a young look about his face. I thought as I placed the disc on the counter, he's surprisingly content despite the closing of his place of employment.


"Just a thought: I wouldn't be able to use my SPC card on top of the 20% discount, would I?" I asked, hoping to save another 10%.
"No, sorry." he replied with a bit of a laugh. "Since we're closing, we don't accept it anymore. But, I do like your hat."
"Thank you!"
He looked down at the CD as he scanned it.
"And I really like Luke Doucet! So I'm gonna give you another 10% off anyway."
"Oh, really? Thank you!... Wow, I didn't think I'd meet anyone that likes Luke Doucet."
"Yeah, me too! I saw his show a while back. He was playing at a film festival and had his wife and kid onstage with him. He did a bunch of Tom Waits covers, which was really cool."
And that's how employee 002--- made me a happy girl, despite the store's closure.

So if you've got some CDs you've been hankering to get, please visit Music World in its last days of life. They're having a sale to mourn their closing.

Semisonic - Closing Time (MP3)

No comments: