Monday, January 21, 2008

First Milestone

As I began to write this post, Edie plugged in the family's old hair dryer. It must have been with us for at least a decade and probably consumes a lot more energy than it should. At least, that's what I assume because the light in my room flickered as soon as I heard the dryer's fan running from behind the adjacent wall.


We watched a movie called Paris, Je t'Aime over the weekend, something I've been meaning to do for about half a year. It's a compilation of 18 short stories from different directors, set in 18 different arrondissements in Paris. The hook they used for North American posters when they screened the film was "stories of love from the city of love". It was certainly something worth seeing, even if to only compare the obviously contrasts in story-telling techniques that the directors used. Of the 18 scenes, the one I found most powerful was set in Faubourg Saint-Denis and directed by Tom Tyker. It was about a blind man reflecting his relationship with an actress, played by Natalie Portman, after receiving a cliche but tragic break up call. The way that it was narrated and filmed was just so incredibly powerful. Of course, this was only about seven minutes of the entire film. There was a great narrative about a woman in a red trench coat, an unlucky tourist in the metro and a W-T-F vampire moment with Elijah Wood strewn before and after that scene for good measure. Also, a good Feist song to wrap things all up.

Feist - La Meme Histoire (We're All in the Dance) (mp3)

In other news, Impressionable Youth Blog Favourite Two Hours Traffic have a new video for Nighthawks. Personally, I'm a little tired of this song because I listened to the intro so many times during the period that I was trying to win their contest for an iPod touch.



Also, I'd like to add a tiny blog milestone to our agenda. Impressionable Youth is now officially listed in the Elbo.ws Music Blog Aggregator. Yay! I feel like I've made a tiny step up in the world.

And with that out of the way, in the words of the blind man living in reality and in fiction somewhere in Paris, "je revisais mes examens, mes examens, mes examens..."

No comments: